Monday, January 5, 2009

Top 10 Movies of 2008

After much deliberation, here is my top 10 list, in order, out of all the new films I saw in 2008!

10. Forgetting Sarah Marshall directed by Nicholas Stoller
Sure, it wasn't deep, but this movie was still hilarious and creative. I loved the Dracula musical, the crazy surfing instructor, and all the satirical pretentiousness of Russell Brand's character. It definitely shows the funny side of getting over a breakup.
9. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist directed by Peter Sollett
I'm definitely a sucker for Michael Cera's cute awkwardness. But all the characters in this movie were equally quirky and fun, making it highly enjoyable. Not to mention the indie-punk soundtrack was great, it was set in Manhattan, and I found it highly relatable.
8. Henry Poole is Here directed by Mark Pellington
A pessimistic loner has to deal with a group of Catholics who see the image of Jesus in a stucco stain on his house. This movie was definitely a thinker, all about religion, life, loss, grief, and the power of faith. The artistic shooting style and intensive focus on Luke Wilson's character development made it even more intriguing.
7. Pineapple Express directed by David Gordon Green
A stoner James Franco in the sexiest pajama pants imaginable. Need I say more? Hmm, how about "Um... heat-seeking missiles... bloodhounds... and foxes... barracudas... " I almost peed myself laughing at this movie.
6. Doubt directed by John Patrick Shanley
The highlight of this is definitely the acting. Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman are stellar as the two leads. The film succeeds in leaving both the characters and audience in doubt which is never fully resolved, causing the viewer to leave the theater with a head full of questions without answers. The film is very well done, but I suspect that the story was even more powerful as the stage play the film was adapted from.
5. American Teen directed by Nanette Burnstein
This documentary follows five different teenagers through their senior year in a small Midwestern town. Although each character fits a different teenage stereotype ("jock", "artsy girl", "preppy girl", "band geek", etc.), this documentary is anti-MTV in that it actually reveals important truths about their lives, thoughts, and problems. Definitely brings back memories of all the important decisions and changes that happen to us at the end of high school.
4. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button directed by David Fincher
All the critical acclaim this has gotten is well-deserved. A highly implausible story manages to beautifully communicate universal truths about the fleeting nature of life, but the lasting importance of love.
3. Slumdog Millionaire directed by Danny Boyle
This film reminded me so much of City of God, but I definitely liked it even more, especially because it expresses a distinct "love over money" message. The protagonist is the only one who seems to be pure of heart in his world, and when he's finally rewarded it's so gratifying.
2. The Dark Knight directed by Christopher Nolan
I don't think there's much to say about this that hasn't been said. And I think almost everyone in the country saw it, so I'll leave you on your own to remember how great it was.
1. Australia directed by Baz Luhrmann
I'm really annoyed that this got such mixed reviews, because I thought it was EXCELLENT. Sure it's kitschy and old Hollywood and uses every film convention possible to pull on your emotions, but why not let it? Honestly, this film was exactly what it claimed to be, an epic Australian love story. The child actor who played Nullah outshone both Jackman and Kidman, but they both were ridiculously great as well. Just go to the theater, stop analyzing, let yourself get swept up in the music, the stampedes and explosions, the close-up kisses, and everything else. This film epitomizes the unchanging power of cinema to intrigue, move, and inspire, and is therefore the best film I saw all year.
Keep in mind, there is a whole list of films I haven't made it to yet, including Milk, Gran Torino, Burn After Reading, The Reader, Revolutionary Road, Valkyrie, Changeling, and many others. I realize they might deserve a place on my list, but hopefully I'll see them all by Oscar season and include them in my predicitions if they deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews