Monday, January 5, 2009

Introduction

So this will be my new blog, mostly dedicated to documenting my Peace Corps experience. For info about how I decided to join PC and came to be nominated, you can visit my other blog, "Carrie in Kenya." It's all about my time working at an orphanage in Kenya (summer 2007), which led me to decide to pursue the Peace Corps!
Right now, I'm kind of in PC limbo. My original nomination was to leave in January 2009 (haha, that's now, and I'm still here!) to work as a Health Extension volunteer in Sub-Saharan Africa. However, due to the state of the economy, governmental budget cuts (as I see it President Bush's failure to prioritize a vital piece of how America gives back to the world), and a surplus of applicants, many people, myself included, are having their departures postponed and moved to later dates. This is what happened to me and nearly everyone else I know who was originally nominated for January, as our spots were filled with people originally nominated for Fall 08, and we get pushed back to Spring 09. It's a domino effect.
Anyway, I'm still optimistic because when I talked to my Placement Officer (on December 17) the conversation went very well and she basically told me that I would make a good volunteer and would get to go, although probably not until June. I told her that was fine with me as long as I got to go! She also told me that even though I was getting pushed back, I should still get my invitation soon because I had been waiting so long and now had priority. She told me to call in 2 1/2 weeks if I hadn't heard from them. Well, of course, 2 1/2 weeks passed and I left her a voicemail on Friday. No reply from her yet though. What her assistant told me is that I am qualified for service and that right now they are looking for a country and job post that fits my skills and language experience.
So basically this tells me that my invite could be coming any day; and I'm hoping that it's sooner rather than later! As of now I'm home with my family until leaving; I found a job but it doesn't start until February, so right now I'm anxious and bored. That boredom is what inspired me to create this blog so far in advance to bore all of you! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews