Saturday, January 2, 2010

2010!

Happy New Year!!!!! I truly hope it's been an awesome one for all of you out there! I beat you to it by 8 hours though! I don't have much to update but I did have an amazing Christmas and New Years and am now ready to start getting some serious work done in my vill (aside from a Dar trip and an Iringa trip already scheduled for this month for meetings and trainings). First up is hopefully a community garden Hadija is helping organize now, starting to teach Life Skills at the primary and secondary school, and hopefully a chicken project to raise money for my orphans' school fees. So for those of you who were interested in contributing to help out with that, I'm planning to write a grant for start-up money for the project ASAP. As soon as the grant gets through it will be posted online and you will be able to donate. I'm hoping that raising chickens and selling the eggs for income-generation will give the kids a sustainable way to raise their school fees rather than just relying on donations from America year after year. So as soon as that is up for donations I will let everyone know. May take a few more weeks though. Things move slowly in Africa and in Peace Corps bureaucracy.
Well, that's about it, time to go waste time on facebook until my Internet time runs out!
Mwaka Mpya Njema!!!! (Happy New Year!)

1 comment:

  1. Here's a belated HAPPY NEW YEAR to you!

    Carrie, I wish you well on the grant writing; the Chicken project seems like a fine strategic plan to fund school fees & supplies.

    My budget constraints won't allow me to support your efforts just now but it tops my list.

    Actually, I've written a grant for funding to establish a little library/resource room for kids at the Huruma Centre. I've been collecting books & resource material & hope to return to train the youngsters how to use them.

    I was disappointed that I couldn't send the kids gifts but lo & behold, God/Universe came as an email asking me where we had worked. This friend told me about a Christmas gift program ie, the Xmas Torch Project, then she arranged for every single child at Huruma to receive a backpack with school supplies, a Swahili language story book & a toy. What Providence!

    Carrie, be encouraged! You are doing some important things there.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews