Friday, October 23, 2009

"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."

Mambo marafiki!
First of all, a big thanks to Uncle Ken, Stopa, and Pascale for sending me stuff! I LOVE YOU!
So since last time I have gotten a LOT of stuff done. I finished both my house-to-house surveys and 3 community meetings which involved doing a needs' assessment and a couple other activities to analyze gender roles and resources in the community. Oh, and I think I got rid of the scabies. And Sloopy killed the 1st rat! I also filtered my banana wine which is delicious, hung out w/ people in the village a lot more, met the District Med. Officer and my People Living with HIV group (PLWHAs) again. So I am basically brimming with project ideas but first I need to sit down and write my VSA to organize my thoughts and prioritize. So that's what I will be working on next. Otherwise I have been spending my days playing w/ the cats, wandering the village talking and mooching chai off people who invite me over, hanging out w/ Hadija and trying to jog every night to counteract all the chapati I end up eating while mooching. Trying to study Swahili too but I'm ADHD when it comes to that. Even with all the above activities I have oodles of reading time and am absolutely BLOWING through books (4 in the last 2 weeks) so keep them coming! I will read anything!
Other than that, bear with me through my first shameless plug. 1 thing I'm trying to get off the ground right now is getting support for Orphans and Vulnerable Children's school fees. Education is technically free in TZ but the costs of uniforms, supplies, and activity fees is still a hindrance to struggling families. And if they can't pay, then the kids don't learn. I already have done a census of the children of parent's living with HIV and am getting a list of orphans and other at-risk youth. The total yearly cost varies depending on what grade but for primary schoolers is no more than $50 a year! That's so cheap compared to America! The secondary schoolers pay a little more but I don't have the data yet. So if anyone has any way at all of being able to commit to one year of school fees for one child here, it would help SO MUCH. Not having to worry about school fees would allow these kids' caretakers to free up some of their little income for other things everyone is struggling with- food, water, buying seeds and farm equipment. And for the parents living with HIV, they have to pay bus fares to go to another village to get their Anti-Retroviral drugs. And for the kids, education has been proven time and time again to be the key to getting people thinking outside the box, out of the trap of hopelessness! So tell your parents, tell your friends, your church, anyone you think would want to help. Dosidosi appreciates it! Then if you're serious about it, shoot me an email so I can start making a list. I hope to get this started by the time the new school term starts in January. Asante sana!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews