Friday, September 11, 2009

Life in Kiteto: The Carrie and Keith Show!

Mambo! So here I am, alive and well, trying to collect my thoughts enough to give you all a decent update on my life for the last 3 weeks I've been at site. There have been some ups and downs for sure. I really am really remote, even by Peace Corps standards. There's 1 spot on the main road I can walk to to get maybe 1 bar of cell reception to check text messages, but other than that I am off the grid! My feelings about this are mostly "Well, it IS what you signed up for..." I've definitely had some moments of extreme loneliness in which I can't believe how long 2 years seems. But I'm starting to get settled and things are looking up so let's focus on the highlights:
1. My house is becoming a home! This week I got all the furniture I ordered delivered so I actually have my own bed, a clothes closet, some couches, and some tables. So I got to UNPACK for the first time in 3 months, woo!!! I also put up a ton of pictures on my wall to remind me of people back home, but if anyone wants to send me more or anything else to decorate that would be awesome!
2. Exploring the mountains and environment around my village has been pretty cool. There are several small mountains right around my house and Keith and I are determined to climb them all eventually. I also found an awesome little hilly trail to jog on where I only pass a few people herding cows usually so I don't have to deal with THAT many weird looks and people asking me why I'm running. Oh, and there are MONKEYS!!! Tons of them, actually. There are also apparently hyenas but I'm not trying to go walking around at night by myself to find them.
Yesterday I took the bus to Keith's village, almost passed out because I was standing with 2 heavy bags packed into the aisle and wasn't feeling too good. So I had to ask this guy to give me his seat which thankfully he did since I'm the wimpy white girl. But then of course I got to Keith's house (an hour bus ride) and we went and climbed a huge boulder-y hill in his village. It was really cool, we could see for miles around the whole valley. Also saw some naked Maasai guys bathing in the water holes which was scandalous. So yeah, there will be lots of mountain climbing in the next 2 years.
3. Making friends in my village is going well. All of my neighbors are teachers and they're all really nice (except for 1 stalker who I am doing my best to shake). The headmaster of the primary school is my main guy so far- he speaks English and is really smart and helpful. And his wife is HILARIOUS and feeds me so much and visits me every day if she doesn't see me. She taught me how to greet in Kinguo, the local language, so now I'm considered like the smartest person alive by all the villagers for knowing those few words. So she's like my best friend so far. The other female teachers are also awesome and I talk to them a lot to practice Swahili and there are 2 woman nurses who I'm also probably going to work with a lot. And of course the kids are constantly at my house trying to talk to the weird mzungu. So yeah, I have friends.
4. I HAVE KITTENS! Now those of you who know me know that I'm not a cat person, but as soon as I realized how many critters my house has, I was like "I need a cat." So my headmaster started looking for a kitten for me. So one day I get back from Keith's village and all of a sudden I'm presented with not one, but TWO little black kittens. So at first I was like "Crap, I don't know how to take care of cats..." but they are now like my best friends and they definitely know I am their Mama. They follow me everywhere and jump on me constantly. Sloopy is the girl (cheesy Ohio pride) and Buttercup is the boy (Keith picked the name in hopes that a girly name would produce a super-ferocious rat killer...so far it's working 'cause Buttercup is CRAZY.) So now I'm obsessed with my cats since they provide entertainment and companionship. The other day one of them wandered over to my neighbor's yard and he was like "Carrie...Mtoto yako yupo hapa." (Carrie...one of your children is here.) So that confirmed that I'm totally the crazy cat lady but I'm fine with it.
5. Getting stuff done! So I'm actually trying to follow the suggested schedule for what to do each week in order to complete the VSA. So I've been to village government meetings, introduced myself at both schools and to all the teachers, and basically just sat and talked with anyone who invites me in. I'm just starting to learn about all the problems in my village and trying to figure out what I can do here that will bring sustainable change for the better. On Monday I went to the clinic to help the 2 overworked nurses with the baby-weighing day. So I was weighing babies, writing charts, and giving polio medicine. It was crazy busy but awesome 'cause I feel like I actually helped a lot just by being an extra set of hands. So I definitely plan to help out at the clinic a lot.
6. So basically just hanging out in my village trying to survive and actually do something productive. I see Keith about once a week which is good...any other PCVs I see only when I feel like at least a 3 hour bus ride. But we're planning lots of fun holiday trips and outings so it'll be great. And apparently, I will be home in March to be there for Justine to get hitched! So get excited for that!
Peace out, leave me comments!!!

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing transition you're making. In spite of the few low points, it all sounds so positive and exciting. Glad that you're getting settled and are starting to find out your mission and helping out. And great job with the language! Godspeed. I was going to send some paperbacks. Have you read Prodigal Summer yet? It's one B. Kingsolver that I found on the Friends sale rack at work. It's a good one, as I recall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. crazy cat lady in tz .... lolololol

    Great idea for companionship, though :D Will you be able to take/post pics ever?

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews